On Air The Morning Show Chris Williams | 9:00am - Noon

Plans to outlaw gas disconnections 'in certain circumstances'

Gas Regulation Bill to go before House of Keys next week

Government wants to introduce legislation to prevent certain gas customers having their supply cut off.

A Bill is due to go before the House of Keys next week, aimed at providing the Council of Ministers with the ability to prevent disconnections.

The Gas Regulation (Amendment) Bill 2023, which government describes as 'short and focused', will be brought by Minister for the Cabinet Office Kate Lord-Brennan, who'll seek support to take it through each of its stages at Tuesday’s sitting.

It comes after numerous reports of disconnections in recent weeks.

Recently it was revealed thirty households had been disconnected by Isle of Man Energy for being in debt - while a further 90 were planned to be.

In November the company committed to a 'short pause' in cut-offs, but the truce is set to end in the second week of January.

If approved, the Bill would then be immediately passed to the Legislative Council, where Bill Henderson MLC would also seek support to take it through each of its stages in a single sitting.

It would give Council of Ministers the power to make an Order to specify circumstances where gas customers may not be disconnected for non-payment, and make public gas suppliers produce documentation and information to the Communications and Utilities Regulatory Authority, in connection with its regulatory role regarding the setting of tariffs.

Minister Lord-Brennan says: "It is clear that additional safeguards by way of legislative measures are now appropriate, notwithstanding Isle of Man Energy publishing its disconnection policy.”

What's not clear currently is in exactly what circumstances will customers be protected - but   government says the intention is to ensure Manx residents are no less protected than consumers in the UK in respect of disconnections.  Therefore any resulting Order, if able to be made by the Council of Ministers, is expected to at least mirror protections in the UK for certain identified groups determined to be more vulnerable or at risk. 

It adds: 'Whilst the proposed change is about trying to ensure greater protection for people, since gas disconnection should be regarded as an absolute last resort, it is very important that those struggling with bill payments, debt and repayment arrangements take the appropriate steps and get help as outlined by the Office of Fair trading and also utility providers.  Any proposed changes will not mean that liability for any sums owing would be cancelled.'

Government says CoMin considers the need for this measure to be important as a 'backstop' to this issue.

If the Bill is supported by the Branches and becomes law, any Order issued by the Council of Ministers would set out the circumstances where a gas supplier will not be permitted to cut off a gas supply and would ultimately require the approval of Tynwald.

More from Isle of Man News