On Air The Morning Show Chris Williams | 9:00am - Noon

Davey Todd claims first TT win in Superstock Race One

Saltburn man takes maiden win after thrilling battle with Peter Hickman

Davey Todd has taken his first TT victory during a hotly-contested Superstock TT Race 1 this afternoon.

The Saltburn man was involved in a sensational battle throughout with Peter Hickman who would take second only just over two seconds behind.

Meanwhile Michael Dunlop claimed third and the final podium place, holding off a late charge from Dean Harrison.

Early into lap one it was the top three in qualifying in the opening battle for supremacy as at Ballaugh Davey Todd edged in front - half-a-second ahead of Hickman in second - with Dunlop just under two seconds further back in third.

Elsewhere, Dean Harrison was in close attendance to the podium spots just 0.1 seconds off the pace of Dunlop at the same timing point.

By the time the frontrunners had reached the bungalow in the opening run around the course the gap between Todd in the lead and Hickman behind had dropped to just 0.08 seconds whilst Harrison had moved into third marginally clear of Dunlop heading into the mandatory pit stops before lap two.

A quick stop in pit lane for Todd paid dividends as he stretched his lead over Hickman at Glen Helen on lap two to nearly five seconds - elsewhere, the battle for third saw another change as Dunlop moved back ahead of Harrison following an efficient pit stop and good run in the final sector of the previous lap.

At Ramsey Hickman had responded to bring the deficit back down to under three seconds behind Todd whilst Dunlop was further cementing himself into the final space in the top three.

The Todd-Hickman showdown looked set to go the wire heading into lap three with Dunlop still holding off the advances of Harrison.

Elsewhere onto the last run around the course the positive pace continued for the likes of James Hillier, Jamie Coward, John McGuinness, Conor Cummins, Dominic Herbertson and Mike Browne amongst others to secure a top-ten spot.

The battle at the front at Ballaugh on lap three became even more intense as Hickman closed the gap to just 0.5 seconds of Todd further up the road, giving the promise of a tantalising duel heading towards the mountain section.

In response heading across the Mountain, Todd refused to give up ground, microscopically extended his lead to just over one second as Harrison mounted a late charge for third closing the gap to Dunlop.

Todd's persistence through late traffic proved the difference as the Saltburn man would go on to take the checquered flag by one of the finest of margins.


More from Isle of Man Sport