Wood burner sparks Onchan blaze

Fire service issues advice about installation

Fire services were called out to an incident on Governor's Road in Onchan last night (Mon 4th)

The alarm was raised just after 6pm when the kitchen and dining room of the property became smoke logged.

It was found that a recently installed wood burning stove had been lit and was issuing smoke throughout the property.

The fire was extinguished and the owner was told to get certification by an approved installer before using the stove again.

Fire services say stoves should only be installed by a competent person and it's requirement to also fit a carbon monoxide detector in the room.

They add chimneys should be regularly cleaned.

More from Isle of Man News