Multimedia Journalist/ Producer
Position: Multimedia Journalist/Producer
Reporting: Directly to News Editor
Job Location: Broadcasting House and on location - Isle of Man
To initiate, write, produce and present, as part of a team, authoritative and up to date multimedia coverage of Isle of Man and International news, business news and sport for Manx Radio’s website, social media channels and traditional radio broadcasting.
Responsibilities of the Post
To show strong editorial judgement, legal and news awareness with strong production and writing skills. You'll be comfortable under pressure and able to work on your own initiative as well as within a team. You'll originate and develop content ideas and stories, and develop and maintain contacts. Working in a team on a shift basis, you may get involved in other areas of the station’s output as required. You'll be expected to use new multimedia and broadcast technologies and edit most of your own material. You must also be willing to learn new skills.
- To work to the News Editor to source and produce material for the station’s general news, business and sport output, both online and on-air.
- To originate and generate ideas for news stories, actively contribute to news planning meetings, carry out in-depth research with minimal supervision across the whole range of news, current affairs, business and sports output.
- When required, to generate business and sports content along with radio bulletins, so that Manx Radio’s services continue to be regarded as the pre-eminent source of such relevant stories on the Isle of Man.
- To produce content as required for our various online and on air platforms.
- To undertake interviewing and reporting duties in both recorded and live situations, in studio or on location.
- To drive the station’s Radio Visualisation agenda in striving to produce visual news and current affairs content for online publishing.
- To prepare and present bulletins, including assessing existing multimedia material, incoming copy, sub-editing copy and deploying the necessary resources.
- To produce live and pre-recorded news and current affairs content both online and on-air both visually and through traditional radio broadcasting. To support the production of this content, when presented by other members of the team.
- To operate multimedia equipment including portable audio and visual recording and live reporting devices, computer based editing systems, self-operated studio equipment and the radio car.
- To take video and photographic content on location and to re-version material for use on Manx Radio’s on-line channels - the internet and social media.
- To work a shift system to ensure that Manx Radio news is broadcast 18 hours a day.
- At all times to carry out duties in accordance with guidelines issued by the Health and Safety Inspectorate.
- Produce the Mandate AM programme on a regular basis.
- Experience of working in a busy newsroom
- First class news judgment and an in-depth knowledge of news, current affairs, business and sport on the Isle of Man and further afield.
- Clear and engaging speaking voice.
- Self motivated, with an outgoing personality, and the ability to work calmly and accurately under pressure.
- Ability to originate and develop news stories and multimedia content ideas.
- Good writing, interviewing, production, computer and on-air broadcasting skills.
- Ability to work co-operatively as part of a small team.
- Knowledge of production techniques and facilities for the web, social media, video and broadcast.
- A creative vision for producing engaging visual media for our online audience to complement the traditional radio content.
- An understanding of the Programme Code and an awareness of legal considerations applying to all types of output.
Closing date for applications is 17:00 Monday 26th March 2018.
To register your interest in this role please email your application: email@example.com